Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Passing On Some Good Advice!

On Sunday I went to a baby shower for a dear friend who is expecting her first dear one in a few days. Her mother gave an excellent devotional that I asked if I could pass on. It was just simple, practical advice, but it was a great encouragement to me. Hopefully it will be for you too!


              Always pray!! ~ She reminded us of the days of queen Esther, who served a great king who held the power of life and death. She then pointed us to our Almighty King, who holds all power. The greatest thing we can do for our children is to continually place them in His powerful and loving hands.

Hebrews 4:16~ Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence,
so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us
in our time of need.

             Be humble~ Although we start out thinking that all we have to do is "xyz" and then we will be perfect parents, somewhere along the way we will mess up! We need good humility to ask for help or advice and especially to apologize. When we wrong our children we need to be truly repentent towards them.

  They "C"you!~  Cliche as it may sound, actions really are louder than words and attitudes really are caught and not taught. This one has been especially convicting for me lately. How can I hope or expect my daughters to have exemplary character qualities if their prime example is very poor at them? As I said in my post about memorizing scripture , I have to be letting the Spirit work in my life as I attempt to train my children. 

             Don't neglect your man!~ Very simple. Just don't! Bad times all around if you do! As Sondra said, it brings the most security and peace to your children's lives when they can see that Mommy and Daddy not only love them, but each other.

             Enjoy them!~ Amen! Amen! Amen! It breaks my heart when I see mothers "tolerating" their children. Please don't take this as boasting at all, but I think I enjoy my children more than anyone I know. And I hope you all can say the same! It's not fake. It's not a show. My heart is thrilled to pieces everyday at the thought of my precious treasures. Sure there are bad times, grumpy times and very loud times. (Whoever invented loud riding toys with no on/off switches? I would like to talk with you out back for a moment!) But never for one millisecond would I question wether they are a joy or an obligation in my life.

Thank you Sondra for these excellent points! Hopefully you can all be encouraged, challenged and inspired just like I was!

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Each one of these is such great advice - thanks for typing it up for us!