Tuesday, August 18, 2009

So much fun to have a partner in crime!

Whew! Life has been so crazy lately, it feels good to just sit here! My wonderful sister got engaged to her wonderful man just over a month ago. They are going to be getting married on February 13, 2010. I am so excited!!! To catch up on their amazing story, here is the link! http://graceisblessedbygod.blogspot.com/2009/05/old-fashioned-romance.html




So, being the devious person I am, I saw this as a perfect opportunity to snag an unsuspecting victim! One afternoon while she was at my house, I got to talking about how much I've been enjoying canning this summer, how fulfilling it is to see those jars lined up on the shelves and how wonderful it is to feed that food to my husband. *Wink*

Well, she bought it! And I'm so thankful! We've have had so much fun this past week, pickling our lives away. We also went and picked 250 lbs. of peaches that we will get to later this week. It has been so much fun doing all of this with my sister and my best friend as we both look forward to providing for our families.

Here is a small sampling of what we've done so far this year. Pickled Beets, Dill Pickles, Dill Beans, Bread and Butter Pickles, Cherries and Cherry Jam. I'm still hoping this year for some tomatoes to can and make sauce from, pears and apples. If you know of any great deals please let me know!


This will be our life for the next few days!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

where did you get all your great veggies and fruit?
i'm coming to the portland area later this week and would love to pick some. I don't think there is any place around here that you can u pick. Kellie Westfall

Grace said...

The peaches we u-picked at a farm in Perrydale for .60 a lb.. The cucumbers, beets and beans mostly came from our gardens. The cherries are gone :-(. Let me know if you want more details!

Peters Family Farms said...

We planted over a 1/2 acre of tomatoes, they still need a couple weeks though... mother of my future daughter-in-laws gets a killer deal! =) I'll let you know when they are ready for ya!

Aly sun said...

Being so industrious WITH someone else is so much fun!

Grace said...

Kelly, you crack me up! I asked Lydia if she wanted to marry a Peter's boy and she just shook her finger at me and said "God knows best!". I guess we'll have to wait and see! :-)

Melanie said...

I must say - I'm a bit jealous of your partner. I've been wanting to know someone who was taking on a lot of canning and needed some help. Unfortunately, I don't know if there are any such people in downtown Boston! I have some friends in Maryland who want to dip their toes in the water of canning, and this weekend when I visit them, we're going to do a little. That's going to have to suffice for now, though!

Unknown said...

Some day I'd like to learn how to can. We have some of the materials, and I have vague memories of my mother doing it. This summer was not the time, no time at all, but maybe in the future!