Thursday, May 30, 2013

Confessions of the Mushy, Gushy, Gooey Aunt


I know.  I just posted about cousins yesterday.

I need help.  I really do.

You see, I'm relatively new to this "auntie" thing.  I was a mom for several years and several children before I began to learn the skill.  All of our sibling were practiced professionals and here I was, trying to figure out why "Auntie Grace" sounded so foreign and strange to the tongue.

Then I heard I heard that a baby was on the way, and my teeny tiny auntie heart began to form.  Then I heard "It's a girl" and I knew I would never have an issue loving any little person that entered my life.  Then I heard "Auntie Grace" come out of the mouth of this darling, amazing niece and I knew it was entirely possible that parents one day may want a restraining order to keep me at bay.


Talia changed my world!  I had a new role.  A new identity.  Thanks to this little adorableness.

It was astonishing to live out this unique role of being so involved yet separate from this life.  Being able to adore and care without the responsibility of being the parent.

After Talia came Caleb.  A curly headed little boy whom I still to this day would stand on my head for hours if he wanted me to.  After Caleb came Eliana.  Eliana Grace.  (Swoooooooon!).  Then came Tirzah, Jonathan, Micah and Ava.  Each one proving how great God is because how else could there possibly be perfect baby after perfect baby after perfect baby?!

Each one that comes fills my heart with oceans of love.  Each one individual is more amazing than I ever could have imagined. 

And as a result I turn into what we call around here, a total loon.  I adore these kids I tell you!

All the King cousins!!!
( Left to right- Back- Tirzah, Havilah, Bethany, Ava, Lydia, Micah, Talia
Front- Ellie, Ella, Esther)
 
Yes, it's true.  Three cousins in a row by age are Ella, Ellie, Esther.  Trying saying that ten times fast!  I LOVE it though!!!
 

Dixon side cousins!!!
 
My girls plus big boy Caleb and little boy Jonathan.
 
I must add, what makes being an auntie to these kids amazing is the fact that every single one is being raised by amazing parents.  I'm so proud of each of my siblings who are doing such an incredible job raising and loving their little ones!
 
Recently one of the best things in the world happened to me.  My four nieces nieces moved from out of state to living ten minutes away.  Pinch me.  I think I'm dreaming. 
 
I have a slight concern that any increase in my auntie love tank may end up with me simply exploding without warning.  It's a risk I welcome gladly though.
 
Oh, and did I mention, TWO MORE BABIES ARE ON THE WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This post made me laugh, smile, and wipe away tears. I love you so much, Grace!! --Mom

Anonymous said...

What a sweet auntie! We love you so much Auntie Grace and are blessed to be your nieces!
Love, Talia, Ellie and Tirzah.