Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Labels

I'm really not a fan.  Not the kind that tells us what sort of ingredients make up the cookie I'm about to put into my mouth, but the kind that we put on each other and assume that they tell us the ingredients that make up the people.  I've always had a bit of an aversion to being labeled.  Remember my fear of being an herby "earthy" girl?  It amazes me to watch Christians drawing sides over labels such as "Quiverfull vs. Birth Control", "Patriarchy vs. Independent Women", "Courtship vs. Dating" etc..  Do I have strong beliefs about such issues. You better believe it!!!  Do I believe pasting a label on me is an accurate way of  explaining to you what it is that I truly believe? Absolutely not. 

I believe what I believe about having children , because of what I believe about God.  I believe "the husband is the head of the wife" because that's what God says.  I believe relationships are blessed when they are placed into God's hands because He is faithful, and I've experienced it first hand.  I don't think any "group", or "way of thinking" can accurately define what I believe other than the Word of God. 

Let's be a little more cautious of getting swept up into a "group" and at the same time, be cautious of being offended by one.  Let's seek God's heart for the way we live, think, believe and train our children.  I'm so blessed by those of you who take the time to really hear out what I believe and who are willing to share what you believe as well. 

3 comments:

Karen said...

Yes! This is so true! My Dad likes to say, "There are two kinds of people: those who put people in boxes, and people who don't put people in boxes." :) You are so right that our relationship with God defines who we are, not some kind of "type" or "label" or "kind". Always enjoy your blog.

Unknown said...

That is a very good reminder! :)

Unknown said...

Important reminder! It's always hard to remember not to label people, or assume that because they do one thing, they must do or believe another thing. It's as important to remember not to label things we approve of as much as things we disapprove of.

Well stated Grace!