Thursday, March 1, 2012

31 Days of Good Habits~ Day One

Hooray!  We're here!  I'm so excited to get started. 

As we get started, most of the habits we start with will fall into one of our three main routines; Morning Routine, Afternoon Routine and Before Bed Routine.  When these three routines are fully operational at "Habit" level, life will be running much smoother! 

Make sure when adding a new habit that you take the time to really teach it. 

In the book Large Family Logistics the author sets out these steps for teaching a child a new task. 

1.  Tell them
2.  Show them
3.  Do it with them
4.  Supervised pratice
5.  Independent practice

Be very careful to not skip through these steps!  If a habit starts getting skipped or slacked on, start over these steps and repeat!

I'll say this a thousand times I'm sure~  Take the time to TEACH!!!  Don't get discouraged.  Don't try to cruise ahead without laying suffucient ground work.

Okay!  Here we go!!!!!!


I know.  I know.  When I'm starting something new I want to DO SOMETHING!!!!  But this simple step helps jump start the next morning in amazing ways.  (This is one of the habits that I need to master for myself!!!!)  With five little girls to dress each morning, it always seems to be a struggle to find something clean, matching and appropriate for the day.  Sometimes we just settle for clean. 

When it's morning and Mom is feeling behind, the last thing we need is clothing frustrations.  This habit is added to the "Before Bed Routine" so as they get ready for bed the "habit" is to get clothes that are mother approved, fold them and put the on the toy chest for the next morning.


Got it?  Day One~Pick out clothes for the next day before going to bed!

3 comments:

Kellie said...

I'm excited to see what your doing! I'm reading the same book right now!

Cheryl M said...

I'm super excited to see what you are doing and learning! Thanks for the encouragement!

Raising Saints said...

We have been doing this for a while now and it is great. Its amazing how something that seems so small can still make such a difference in making the morning routine smoother.

BTW - I loved your Valentines pictures! :)